Ireland has a strong tradition in women’s rugby, and there are many dedicated women’s rugby teams and clubs throughout the country. Some of the top Irish women’s rugby teams include:
- Old Belvedere Women in Dublin
- Railway Union Women: Another top club team based in Dublin,UL Bohemians Women based in Limerick
- Blackrock Women based in south Dublin
- Cork Constitution Women
Most of these teams play in the AIL and have age grade and Mini Rugby Teams and have produced many talented players who have gone on to play for the Irish national team. As well as national honours, Provincial rugby is a major part of Irish Rugby, and players can also be called up to represent their provinces.
These are just a few examples of the many Irish women’s rugby teams that are active in the sport. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced player, there is likely to be a women’s rugby team in your area that is looking for new players. Joining a team can provide a great opportunity to develop your rugby skills, compete in games and tournaments, and enjoy the camaraderie and sportsmanship that are part of the rugby culture.
Famous irish women’s rugby players
Ireland has produced many talented and successful female rugby players over the years. Here are a few of the most famous Irish women’s rugby players:
- Niamh Briggs: A former captain of the Irish national team, Briggs is widely regarded as one of the best full-backs in the world.
- Marie-Louise Reilly: A powerful lock forward, Reilly has been a mainstay of the Irish national team for many years, and has represented her country in multiple Women’s Rugby World Cups.
- Alison Miller: A speedy and versatile back, Miller has been a key player for both the Irish national team and her club team, Old Belvedere Women.
- Nora Stapleton: A talented fly-half, Stapleton has been a standout player for the Irish national team and has represented her country in multiple Women’s Rugby World Cups.
- Tania Rosser: A former captain of the Irish national team, Rosser is one of the most experienced and respected players in Irish women’s rugby.
These are just a few of the many talented female rugby players who have represented Ireland with distinction on the international stage. Whether you are a fan of the sport or a player yourself, these players provide great inspiration and showcase the skills, athleticism, and spirit that are at the heart of women’s rugby.